I received quite the comical text from my daughter a couple of weeks ago. Here is how it read:
“So Lydia had a boy in her class give her a fuzzy purple pen to marry him and then another boy gave her $5 to marry him.
She is supposed to pick the best one. She brought both things home and asked me what she should do!!!
She is giving them back tomorrow and kicking them in the shins and saying, ‘Heck, no!!!’”
Needless to say, the entire family has had fun with this. It’s even better when you know that Lydia is in the second grade. (And, no, I don’t believe she really kicked them in the shins when she returned their gifts.)
While the incident has provided us with some material for having fun and teasing parents, it does lead to an extremely important thought…the future spouse of our grandchildren.
Long before our children were even of dating age, my husband and I began to pray for their future spouses. Now several years later, we stand at a point in our lives where our children are all married and have families of their own. It would be easy to think that our job is finished. But that is far from the truth. I believe as grandparents we fill an important role, and one of our duties and privileges is to pray for our families. This includes the future mates of our grandchildren.
In praying for the future spouses of our grandchildren it should not be our intent to pray up the “perfect” spouse-though that is certainly our human heart’s desire-but to see our grandchild’s mate become all he or she can be for God.
If you find yourself drawn to this idea, there are some helpful prayer suggestions listed below. You can also find a printable of the Suggestions on the “Resources” page.
As you use this sheet of suggestions in praying for those who will become part of your family in the future, remember that you can pray all of these things for your grandchildren as well.
Praying for you as you embrace His design.
SUGGESTIONS FOR PRAYING FOR YOUR GRANDCHILD’S FUTURE SPOUSE
- Pray for his/her heart.
- Open his/her spiritual eyes to the gospel and bring him/her to salvation at an early age. (2 Cor. 4:3-6)
- Make my grandchild’s future spouse considerate and sensitive, a giving, loving Christian person who can place the needs of others before their own without losing their personal identity. (1 Jn. 3:16-18)
- Pray he/she will be a lover of God.
- Guide him/her to seek their soul’s satisfaction in You alone. (Psalm 63:1-5)
- Develop in him/her a heart that is captivated by the beauty of Christ. (Luke 10:39, 42)
- Help him/her to become a man/woman after God’s own heart. (Eph. 5:25-28)
- Give my grandchild’s future spouse a hunger for God. (Mt. 13:23)
- Pray for understanding and wisdom.
- Establish him/her in truth and spiritual discernment. (Eph. 5:6–13; Col. 1:9–12; 2:8)
- Surround him/her with means for spiritual training and growth. (2 Tim.1:5; 3:15–17)
- Develop in my grandchild’s future mate a desire to seek and ask forgiveness from both God and man when wrong. (1 Jn. 1:8-9)
- Help him/her to become a master of good, uplifting communication. Protect him/her from foul language, hurtful criticism, and angry response. (Col. 3:8)
- Teach him/her to be a good parent. I pray his/her parents would exhibit good parenting skills, and, if not, that You would provide a godly role model. Be the Father to the fatherless if he/she has no father. (Ps. 68:5-6)
- Pray for trust.
- Help him/her to put his/her trust in You. (Psalm 115:11)
- Pray for loyalty and faithfulness.
- Shepherd him/her to live the crucified life. (Gal. 2:20; Rom. 12:1–2)
- Cultivate spiritual fruit in his/her life. (Gal. 5:16–26)
- Pray for strength and protection.
- Pray for purity and intimacy.
- Help my grandchild’s future spouse to remain a virgin. Guard him/her from abuse, harassment, and pornographic content. (Col. 3:5)
- Give him/her deep, satisfying personal relationships that will help to prepare him/her for marriage without the compromise of purity. (1 Thess. 4:3-8)
- Train him/her to love purity and flee immorality. (2 Tim. 2:19–22; Eph. 5:3–5)
- Pray for contentment.
- Pray for commitment.
- Lead my grandchild’s future spouse to make a commitment to the truth and to choose honesty in every situation. (Eph. 4:25)
- Help him/her to be fully committed to my grandchild and to their marriage. (Mark 10:7-9)